In and Around Qatar

Nov 27 to 29, 2008 - Doha Players' The Wishing Well
Google

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Photo Hunt: High

Come and join the hunt here.

The photo below was taken during our company outing in the desert. My colleagues were up HIGH on top of the Singing Dunes enjoying the view of the desert. The Singing Dunes in Doha, Qatar is one of the approximately 30 locations in the world where sound is naturally produced from the sand dunes.

The sound is decribed as similar to a loud, low-pitch, rumble, and it emanates from the crescent-shaped dunes. The sound emission accompanies a slumping or avalanching movement of the sand, usually triggered by wind passing over the dune or by someone walking near the crest.

On Top of the Dunes


On the left photo below, me and my husband were climbing to the top to join others up HIGH. On the right photo, you will notice the crescent shape (right) of the dunes. I have a three-part post about our picnic in the Singing Dunes with more photos and a video how the sound is produced. If you have time, please visit my blogs - Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

Singing Dunes

1. Climbing the Dunes, 2. Singing Dunes Doha, Qatar

Created with fd's Flickr Toys.

12 comments:

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Nina. First of all, thank you very much for your warm birthday greetings. I appreciate it.

Congratulations on your own domain. I have no problem opening your site. Hope the problem you experienced was just due to the transition.

Great photos. I'm fascinated with those singing dunes.

Unknown said...

Great pictures for this weeks "high" theme.

ancient one said...

Learn something new everyday... I had never heard of singing dunes.. Thanks for stopping by. I've enjoyed my visit to your blog. Those are certainly some HIGH sand dunes!! Great Post!

Anita said...

I had never heard of the singing dunes, either... How fascinating! Your photos are great...

Thanks for stopping by!

sammawow said...

Wow, I never heard of singing dunes. Those are great pictures for the theme of "high".

Sarge Charlie said...

wow, that is a unique entry

Anonymous said...

Those pics sure look fun. Heehee.. Did you see any camel?

Anonymous said...

this is the most unique entry I've seen this week. wow!

Anna said...

Great shot..Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures...
Mine is up Every Beat Of My Heart

Anonymous said...

wow, ang ganda! my kids would love to make padulas here, hahaha

Nina said...

@kengkay,
ganun nga ginawa namin nagpadulas kami kahit matatanda na kami kasi yon ang way ng pag create ng sound!

Katney said...

I missed this last week. I guess I have another location to add to my list of places tovisit someday. That list is getting very long.